Plainfield South welcomes new softball coach

+Coach+Miller+instructs+her+team+on+how+to+warm+up+after+school+on+March+8.+%28Pictured+left%29+Catcher+Katie+Nichols%2C+junior%2C+strengthens+her+defense.

Coach Miller instructs her team on how to warm up after school on March 8. (Pictured left) Catcher Katie Nichols, junior, strengthens her defense.

Siah Hernandez, Staff Writer

A brand new coach is introduced to Plainfield South’s softball program this year, and she is hoping to lead them to success. Tara Miller, a former coach of lower levels and a softball athlete herself, is looking forward to contributing to the program’s future, wishing to add to the already successful program.
“She’s a natural leader and has the well-being of her team at the forefront of her goals,” said athletic director Chet Lines.
This is Miller’s first year coaching at a high school level, but she doesn’t let that discourage her as she has a plethora of goals and her mind is set on improving her team.
“One goal is to be over 500 with our conference games. We would also like to be regional back-to-back champions. With our new coaching staff, we really want to take this year to grow as a team and get stronger physically and mentally,” Miller said.
This year’s coaching staff includes Matt Kief, varsity assistant coach; Abby Plutz, head junior varsity coach; and Emily Moore, assistant junior varsity coach. Miller really believes in this team and wants her athletes to grow on all aspects throughout the season. The team is well-bonded, as Miller stated they have a very strong connection with each other on all levels and hopes she is making her way there as well.
“I really pursue the idea [of] one big team and one big program,” Miller said.
South will be hitting off their season during spring break with their first conference away game against Romeoville. This game will be the first step to Miller’s goal to be one of the best in the conference.
Miller mentions one player who stands out is senior Bella Hansen- the only senior on the team this year.
“[I see her as] a leader on the team and see her doing very well with all her experience and leadership,” Miller said.