South welcomes former AD to principal’s position: Bob Yanello

Joseph Crump, News Editor

This year Plainfield South welcomes former Athletic Director, Bob Yanello, to the principal’s office. Yanello has been in the building for 14 years as the athletic director, and this year he plans to prepare the students for a great future.

“I want the students to get a good high school experience, I want everyone to be involved in the overall community of Plainfield South, and I certainly want our students to be college and career ready,” said Yanello. He also explained how he aims to make students and associated families proud to be part of the Cougars.

Yanello has a bachelor’s degree in Business Education and two Master’s: one in Human Resources and one in Education. Yanello has many years of administrative experience at South, and he has high expectations for the students.

“Certainly I want [students] to excel academically, certainly I want to watch you walk out of here college and career ready, but at the end of the day I want you to be able to look back and say ‘I loved going to Plainfield South and I’m a proud alumni;’ that’s what I hope to do,” Yanello said.

According to Yanello, this year started with heavier enforcement of the no food or drinks in class and no cellphones in class policies. Initially, there was a reaction towards the no drinking policy from the community, as it included water in the list of banned beverages.

“The new policy reaction is overblown for a number of reasons. The water thing was an issue that got coupled in with the food and drink. I don’t have any problem with water, so we took care of that right off the bat,” Yanello said.

Yanello also spoke about the new changes to senior privileges. In regards to removing full hour lunch, that change was not brought about by Yanello himself. There are a certain amount of minutes students need to spend in the classroom. Specifically for grades 7-12, 1137 hours are required nationally. Late arrivals, along with early dismissals, tap into those minutes.

“However, this is more about a district policy, we want all students to have [a] lunch and study hall; it was directed, and it was requested of us to do the same,” Yanello said. District policy is also related to the final exam changes. Seniors are now required to take them. In addition, the district is switching to a student growth model and they would like to monitor senior growth as well throughout the semesters.

Former teacher Phil Pakowski is a long-time associate of Yanello. Four years ago he was Yanello’s Assistant Atheltic director and is now Yanello’s assistant principal.

“I know Mr. Yanello very well because I have worked with him before. I enjoy working with Mr. Yanello. We have a good rapport. We both are on the same page philosophically about what’s good for students,” said Pakowski.

Pakowski also said that it came as a pleasant surprise to both Yanello and himself that Yanello was elected to become principal. The two have worked together for thirteen years.

Ken Bublitz is the new Athletic director, taking the place of Yanello’s former position. He has also known Yanello for a long time, roughly fifteen years.

“Bob and I have known each other for a long time, and that makes it an easy transition; obviously we’re both in new positions, but we both believe strongly in what we perceive as a strong staff and a strong student body,” said Bublitz.

Bublitz also said how he thinks Yanello becoming the principal is a great opportunity for him, as he has administrative experience. Bublitz believes it will be a benefit to South.