Staff Spotlight: Radavich and Flanagan

Mitch Schoener, Sports Editor

The deans at Plainfield South receive a trickle of students approaching their offices from time to time.

This year, deans Ryan Flanagan and Bryan Radavich, two teachers at South who have been around for some time, transitioned their role from teacher to dean.

The two staff members have known each other since their college days at Eastern Illinois. Flanagan has been with the Driver’s education department and P.E. department for eleven years, while Radavich has also been teaching history over the course of eleven years.

“I’m looking forward to seeing a different perspective after teaching for eleven years,” said Radavich.

Senior Emily Williams and junior Alex West sheded their thoughts on how they believe Flanagan and Radavich will transition into their new roles as deans.

“They were both very understanding teachers, so I think they’ll be good at dealing with students,” said Williams.

According to West, he is happy towards Flanagan receiving a promotion from being a teacher to a dean. He also says that this may be new territory for Flanagan, but he should be able to handle the pressure the deans are approached with.

Over the extent of the average school year, the school deans receive their fair share of encounters with the students, but each case is unique.

“It varies for each student. You have to go along with what their history is and making adjustments towards getting them to succeed,” said Flanagan.

According to the deans department, student success is constantly on the minds of the deans.

“It’s important to make sure that students are successful and on top of their class work,” said Radavich.

With the many events and happenings surrounding the students, the deans are kept busy by students that have academic and other issues around the school.