Effort brings success to football player

Jack Leach, Sports Editor

Many high school educations are made up of forgetful note-taking, daily homework assignments, and strenuous amount of assessments.

In addition to an entertaining social life, along with many extracurricular activities, some students may be left with large amounts of inevitable stress.
Three-sport athlete, Erik Santiago, admits to feeling some of this pressure.

“It’s tough,” Santiago said. “During the school year I’m going to school, then to football/wrestling practice, then right to boxing after that, all while completing my homework and maintaining a social life.”

Santiago knows that life of a student-athlete can be difficult, but proper support can make the process much more sufficient.

“My family sacrifices so much time and money for me,” Santiago said. “They make sure I get whatever I need, so I can make my dreams come true. I couldn’t be more thankful.”
The work of Santiago’s father, especially, has left an impact on the senior.

“My dad is my biggest role model,” Santiago said. “He works so hard in his job, and always puts his family before himself; he truly shows what it’s like be a great father.”

According to Santiago, his father not only has built him into the man he is today, but also influenced him to play his current favorite sport.

“I’ve played football since I was seven,” Santiago said. “I love the sport because I get this feeling like I’m on top of the world, and no one can bring me down.”

Santiago has always had huge support from his teammates, including that from fellow senior teammate, and Defensive MVP, Zach Sutphin.

“Playing alongside Erik this year was awesome,” Sutphin said. “Our relationship is similar to that of Dale Doback and Brennan Huff from the hit comedy, “Step Brothers”. We always have each other’s backs on and off the football field.”

Santiago, a two-year varsity starter, was granted a team captain role by head coach Bill Bicker this football season.

“Erik is always full of positive energy,” Bicker said. “He’s always happy, excited, and makes the most out of every moment.”

Santiago embodies plenty of athletic abilities on the football field, but most importantly, he makes the biggest impact as an everyday human.

“What Erik brings to a team that goes far beyond the field, is the idea that not only hard work pays off, but so does being a good person,” Bicker said. “He is such an excellent model for all student-athletes on how to treat other people. He is an all-conference football player, but an All-American human being.”