“The Big Welt” embodies something bigger than appearance

Welter and his camper James pose for a picture during their

Welter and his camper James pose for a picture during their "Under the Sea"-themed special camp.

Jack Leach, Sports Editor

Sacrifice: an element of courage and integrity an individual serves for his or her environment.

The sacrifices that senior Alex Welter has made for his school and community has set him up for a grand and welcoming future.

“Alex always led by example,” assistant football coach Bryan Radavich said. “He’s a great teammate that focuses on the positive, and would sacrifice whatever was best for the team.”

This year, South converted from their years-long spread offense which primarily passed the ball, to a run-heavy triple option offense; Welter took on a new role.

“I knew changing from spread to triple option would completely change my role as a wide receiver,” Welter said. “I had to accept that, and continue to do my job for the team. Fortunately, I became a better blocker on the perimeter, which will go on to benefit me in college.”

Next year, Welter will continue his football career and pursue a Neuroscience degree at St. Thomas University in St. Paul, Minnesota.

“St. Thomas is getting an individual who responds in the face of adversity,” Radavich said. “In times of injury, Alex didn’t miss a practice, 7 on 7, or football event. He did whatever was necessary to encourage his teammates, and learn while he couldn’t physically participate.”

Welter has not only shown signs of encouragement throughout the football program, but with individuals a part of White Pines Ranch Special Camps.

“Special camps is a six-day event where I got to be the camp counselor of a developmentally disabled adult,” Welter said. “Each counselor got to accompany them in games, swimming, horseback riding, archery, sports, and dance parties.”

Welter’s summer-time experience with an extraordinary individual has him eager to attend the camps each and every year moving forward.

“My camper’s name was James; he was a funny, beyond friendly, guy, who could recite lines from entire SpongeBob, and Drake and Josh episodes,” Welter said. “James had one of those smiles that just makes you happy.”

According to Welter, his experience at the camps reminded him of a lifestyle that he hopes to be remembered by.

“Never treat someone differently, because they’re not involved in the same things that you are,” Welter said. “I may have met a lot of my friends through sports, for example, but a lot of my favorite people are not athletes at all.”

Lifelong friend, Joey Calabrese, has never been a part of Welter’s athletic career, but continues to support the very same man who’s always shown signs of loyalty.

“When I hit my lows this year, Alex was always there to lift me up,” Calabrese said. “St. Thomas is lucky. They’re getting a wholesome dude filled with character that’ll turn anyone he meets on campus into family. No one makes you smile and feel more welcome than Alex freakin’ Welter.”