Girl’s golf team ready to win

Marissa Finley, Staff Writer

The girl’s golf team at South are very dedicated and ready to end the season strong and though the season is ending soon, the determination surely is not.

“I feel like we could go pretty far. Two years ago we won conference, so that’s good. Last year we tied with third. We have a pretty good team here and we’re all working hard so we could go pretty far if we put our minds to it,” said Sarah Chan, a sophomore on the team.

The team has won conference before and there are many improvements the team needs to make to win again, according to the team. However, it has been a great season for everyone.

“I like it so far so I’m pretty excited for the rest of the season,” said Shannon Smith, a freshman on the team.

There are weeks left of the season, depending on whether the team makes it to sectionals and state. Although the season is gradually coming to an end, the girls are determined to make this season one to remember.

“When you’re on the course with one other person, you spend a lot of time together. You move around a lot and you get to play with a lot of different people so you get to become close with a lot of people in such a short amount of time,” according to sophomore Cassie Lorenz.

Golf helps develop personal relationships with individuals whether it’s on one’s own team or their competitors. The season may be two months, but a lot of memories are formed within that short amount of time.

“I think everyone brings something different to the team. I think everyone has the potential to be the best so I wouldn’t say one player is the best because everyone contributes to the team and brings different things to it,” said senior Annie Granato.

Although golf relies on individual performance, the team altogether is what determines the ultimate win or loss. Without every person contributing their own special skills, the team wouldn’t be as unified or successful as they are this season.

The team is united on and off of the course. I see them going far this season. A lot of the girls on the team are beginners but as time goes by, we will definitely become much stronger, Caroline Butler, girls’ golf coach, said.