Should school be year round?

Brad McClelland, Co-Editor in Chief

The one question no kid wants to hear and most parents want – should school be year round?
School should not be year round because students need time to distress from school. If school was year round, students wouldn’t have much family time with (vacation, summer ball, etc.). School is already long enough as it is and kids drop out from high school to begin with.
Student athletes would be greatly affected. Some student athletes play club or travel sports during the summer and would miss valuable material during those months when their club or travel team have games or tournaments in other states. If school was year round, then some parents would make their kids quit their travel or club teams which would then decrease the amount of exposure these athletes would receive from colleges trying to recruit them or offer them scholarships.
Students whose parents force them to work would incur a decrease in the amount in salary because they would not be able to work as many hours. It may be the difference between them having electricity if their parents do not make enough money to pay the bills.
Another reason school should not be year round is because maintenance for the school would cost more. The school would have to work harder to keep it clean if school was year round.
And what about the educators? Teachers need a break from school just as much as the students do. The teachers already get tired from the long nine month school year. The teachers would have even less energy if school was year round. School being year round is not a good situation for anyone. It would create more problems than solutions and more stress for everyone. School year round is one thing that would not be practical in the United States of America.