Girls’ and Boys’ cross-country look forward to hitting new heights in their 2015 season

Mitch Schoener, Sports Editor

GIRLS

The girls’ cross-country team is back after a strong previous year and they have kept their winning mentality alive. The team reloaded over the summer after losing some seniors, and the team used summer conditioning to stay in shape.

“Everybody on the team came out to the conditioning program and I think that’s something that’s going to be valuable to us throughout the entire season,” said Coach Dan Shuman, who said the team came up with new goals and expectations for the season ahead.

According to Shuman, they want to improve from their ninth place finish in sectionals last year.

The cross-country team’s biggest threat as of now coming into the season is Minooka.

“I think that they have done a nice job with their program, but I think this year is going to be a very competitive year between us and them,” said Shuman.

The meet they are looking forward to the most is the Peoria-Notre Dame Invitational at Detweiller Park in Peoria. They like that meet the most because Detweiller Park is a very flat course, therefore enabling runners to achieve their personal best time.

The relationship between myself and Shuman is pretty good, I’ve known him since he was the assistant coach for my sophomore year. They’re all just wonderful coaches who strive to push their athletes beyond the limit,” said senior Jessica Hernandez.

According to Shuman, the team on average runs anywhere between five to six miles per day and anywhere around thirty miles a week.

BOYS

Summer Saturdays were busy for the boys’ cross country team who met on their own each Saturday to build strength and endurance for the fall season.

“[The seniors and captains] showed up and made sure that everybody was there. They also held each other accountable, and we should be able to see those results in a few weeks,” said Coach Jason Crowe.

According to Crowe, the expectations and goals are always one of the first things that the team addresses. “Year in and year out we want to be the conference champions. But when it comes down to each and every person, the thing is that you are focused on your personal best,” said Crowe.

The team’s ultimate threats coming into this season are Sandberg who is No. 1 in the state and No. 2 in the United States along with Hinsdale Central. Conference wise, Minooka and Plainfield North are the team’s biggest competition.

“We always battle against Hinsdale Central who are the two-time defending state champions,” said Crowe.

This year the cross-country team is most excited about the Peoria-Notre Dame Invitational down in Detweiller Park in Peoria. That is also the same location for the state meet in September.

“One week after we go to Detweiller Park, we go to Altine’s Meet of Champions, which is just a superb meet not just a state competition, but competition all over the country. It’s also a very prestigious invitational,” said Crowe.

According to Crowe, five different groups make up the cross-country team. Group one having the most experience all the way up to five being the group with the least experience. Group five ran around twenty miles a week, and by the end of July, some of the group one guys ran close to one-hundred miles.

Nutrition is a huge part of the runner’s diets. If the runners don’t pay attention to carbohydrates and good proteins along with their fruits and vegetables, their bodies will begin to break down, which would result in getting injured or sick.

“We tell the team to get in their electrolytes one way or another. They should have a good diet and they should be eating every two to three hours,” said Crowe.

Physically the runners have to stay consistent with their training. Their mental stamina, builds with the more mileage the runners get over the season.