Q&A with Head Softball coach Daniel Deacon: Offering insight for upcoming season

Alondra Rosales, Staff Writer

Q: How is the team preparing for the upcoming season?

A: We have had some open gyms and conditioning that the upperclassman have led in January and February and we coaches are looking forward to tryouts next week and the upcoming season.

Q: Any key players or changes so far?

A: Well, we lost 3 key seniors last year with graduating and unfortunately 2 more seniors to be right now. 1 of these seniors Addison Brandl was hurt in travel ball in November but hoping with her physical therapy she will be able to pitch, hit, and play defense for us come April. Until then we will be looking at other players, potentially some freshman to step up and perform at the varsity level this spring.

Q. What would you like to say about your team so far?

A: I’m excited. I think our defense and hitting will be good. We have some good leadership at the senior class this year that works hard and that will carry through to the younger players. I really like the whole organization and believe that we are building the South softball program back to levels of 10 years ago that was coached by Coach Tara Singler.

Q: Anything else you’d like to add

A: Again I’m grateful for the opportunity to coach these young ladies and I think we will have a very successful year. I have a great coaching staff with Abbey, Kenna, and Gus all returning who are very driven to be successful coaches and teach these young ladies how to be great PSHS players.  I believe we have several players who will be vying for All conference this year. And as I mentioned we have some great athletes coming in as Freshman to bond with the upper levels to create success not only this year but build for future year success too.